I hate deep frying. Too bad I need to save half for tomorrow’s lunch. I will definitely make it again. Arrange workspace, placing flour, egg, and panko in separate … (I also threw in a few shrimp; I’m not a vegetarian.) Rather than pulling out a pot of oil I used a little trick to make the cauliflower taste like it's been deep fried when really it's baked …. this looks amazing! Place the cauliflower in a large mixing bowl. Happy you liked it! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This Baked General Tso's Cauliflower is every bit as delicious as the fried version. I could seriously eat it everyday! I always use grapeseed oil because of its neutral flavour. How to make Vegan General Tso’s Cauliflower: This recipe for Vegan General Tso’s Cauliflower is really easy to make. This is a great meat-free dish. Will definitely be making this one again. ©2020 The Endless Meal®. I have a feeling that this Chinese cauliflower recipe would be just as delicious in some kung pao or sweet and sour sauce! I turned down pleas to add some peppers or onions or A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G. And yep, changing the sweetness level will be very easy. now looking for more vegan inspiration on your blog. Did not like the texture and taste of the cauliflower itself. He started talking about opening a restaurant that sells only General Tso's Cauliflower. I had to make do with what I had – substituted with flour, olive oil, and just a general stirfry sauce instead of hoison (similar ingredients). I’m glad you liked the recipe. and it completely disappeared. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. If it bubbles … Well, this was it! I’m so happy to hear you like the recipe! I love your ideas, Pat! Sauce should be doubled to really cover all cauliflower. The flavor was good although I would use more garlic and ginger next time to amp up the spiciness. If you like Chinese takeout makeovers you may like these recipes too: The green onions are a must, as with any savory dish like this. You can find vegan dinner recipes here: https://www.theendlessmeal.com/category/vegan-recipes/ and vegan desserts here: https://www.theendlessmeal.com/category/vegan-desserts/ . or until tender and golden brown. Glad you loved it. I make this zaatar roasted cauliflower for vegan pitas way too often. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring it to a boil. Again, this is NOT vegan. This General Tso's Cauliflower is baked instead of fried - which makes it easier AND healthier! I LOVE everything to do with food: making it, taking pictures of it, and (the best part) eating it. The guy's got a point, this is some damn good cauliflower. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. This recipe was quite good, quick, and easy. But just because they’re healthier doesn’t mean these bites are lacking in flavor. Why grapeseed oil? made it tonight and will be making it again tomorrow =) This recipes is also really easy to adjust for sweetness and spiciness. Just spectacular. I will make the sauce with regular soy sauce (not low-sodium) since the cauliflower will be unsalted. Would be good if these were explained. I have dried thai bird eye chiles…will that work or do I need to get a more chinese-ish dried chile? Only substitute was vegetable oil instead of grapeseed oil because that’s what we had on hand. I have updated the recipe to be clearer with this new step 2: but I wanted something a little healthier. The only way I used to eat it is is it was covered in cheese sauce. Whisk until smooth and thick. Baked cauliflower is always the way to go over steamed (but had never thought to add cornstarch – thanks for the tip! Great idea to use broccoli. This cauliflower is totally not boring, though. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/general-tso-s-cauliflower It is soooo good. It really is crazy delicious. When I decided that I wanted to make General Tso’s Cauliflower, I knew I wanted to bake the cauliflower rather than fry it. If I could give this recipe six stars, I would. It was delicious. That’s brilliant! Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds and … no dairy. This was great! Transfer the cauliflower to the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway. https://www.marionskitchen.com/oven-baked-general-tsos-cauliflower My husband and I LOVE this recipe. Cauliflower is a chameleon in the kitchen. Made mine in the air fryer, otherwise just as described and it was delicious. no grains. It tastes sinfully delicious without piles of calorie heavy oil. Pour over the sesame seeds, green onions and the sauce and toss to coat well. Hubby was right the sauce is to die for. Add cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. It’s a good thing that cauliflower is cheap because I go through zaatar and tahini like crazy. I made this just now (had to sub some ingredients like apple cider vinegar for rice vinegar, and just did 3 tbsp of coconut aminos because I don’t have soy sauce) and WOW I could eat the entire head of cauliflower like this. I will definitely save it this time in my recipe box, where only the best recipes go. Place the cauliflower florets in a large bowl and toss with the grapeseed oil, then the cornstarch. Everyone loved it!!! How so, K? Really tasty. Given the choice, I’ll always pick vegetables over fruit! This baked General Tso’s Cauliflower is every bit as delicious as the fried version. Add the cauliflower to the pot and toss to coat until the cauliflower is rewarmed, about 5 minutes. Heat a large skillet or wok over low heat. I think you’ll love it! In a bowl, mix the cornstarch, baking soda, salt, white pepper, and sesame oil with 3/4 cup of the rice flower. I always used to dislike cauliflower, because when it is bad it can be reaaaally bad, but when it is good it is amazing – and this looks good. Anyway, I love baked cauliflower, and when I decide to make this recipe, with what could I replace a hoisin sauce? My only changes: no hassle. I’m so happy to hear you liked the recipe! Bake 17 to 20 min. Nutrition information has been auto-calculated for your convenience. The best part, the General Tso’s sauce is made from scratch, so it is a complete homemade meal, which can be served hot with a bed of steamed rice. Just a year ago I would have passed right by the cauliflower at the grocery store, but nowadays it is always on my list. When the cauliflower is nearly done, prepare the sauce by whisking together all of the sauce ingredients from the soy sauce through the corn starch. And there … You had me at “If you’re making rice, start that first.”. My husband and I loved it! Turn off the heat and transfer the cauliflower to a serving dish. By coating the cauliflower in a little corn starch before you bake it, you'll get cauliflower that is a little crispy and very much like the deep fried version. Thanks for the comment. Also, when the cauliflower was done, I poured it into the bowl with the sauce, then tossed it, rather than pouring the sauce over the cauliflower as in the recipe. I ate one serving and she finished off the rest, aka 2+ servings. Thanks for the recipe! Thank you! I made a low sugar version of this…I used jalopenos and red peppers. Over the last few years my veggie choices have gotten a bit exotic. The only foods I’ve been eating lately it seems are Asian and spicy! Hey Denise! Pour over the top of the cauliflower and toss well to coat. All Rights Reserved. The second you here that, you know you’ve got to give these a try, at least just for the sauce itself. Once the cauliflower has browned, remove it from the oven and place it in a large bowl. 8. Hi, I'm Linda, mother of three and Mimi to one. Nice to find a new way to prepare it. It may have been the fact that as an Italian/Danish family living in the South, eating Chinese food happened as often as a confirmed Big Foot sighting. need this in my life, seriously! . You just need some baked cauliflower florets and this amazing sauce. I did not have scallions, but did have chives for close to a green onion color and flavor. I didn’t think I was hungry before I read your post, but I am now! It is simple and has so much flavor (the sauce is incredible!). 1 large head of cauliflower, washed and cut into florets. Kristen, I made this for my family last night and we all loved it. Excited to try this recipe! Instead of scallions, I washed and sliced the stalks and greens from around the cauliflower, and stir-fried them along with a thinly sliced onion, then set them aside .and added them at the end. I wanna make this ASAP. I like to serve this with some crisp greens added to the plate right before serving. My husband and I live in Texas. https://www.archanaskitchen.com/general-tso-s-cauliflower-recipe You might think that this is because I want to keep things healthy, but really it’s because I’m too lazy to fry the cauliflower. Design by Purr. One of the dishes we make in the Vegan Chinese class is General Tso’s Cauliflower and Tofu. Most of the recipes you’ll find here are Whole30, paleo, keto, vegan, or gluten-free. Print Ingredients. I’ve been so obsessed with cauliflower lately. Ingredients. It’s quick and easy to make and is a super delicious vegan + paleo meal. A side veggie instead of fried, so next time, and worked..., look no further than this General Tso ’ s steamed vegetarian version, ’., meals mine in the right place sauces are too sugary and this sauce had more and... These General Tso ’ s General Tso 's cauliflower is all you need for that quick lunch dinner! Cauliflower back into my regular rotation about 15 seconds to cut the honey and use cauliflower. From Scratch subscribe to the ENDLESS meal 's baked general tso cauliflower for free to healthy! You just need some baked cauliflower florets and this looks like a must, as with any dish! It from the oven while baked general tso cauliflower prepare the sauce is incredible! ) so totally guilt free too, ’. A hoisin sauce 's board `` General Tso cauliflower, washed and cut into florets or A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G for and. The ENDLESS meal 's NEWSLETTER for free to get healthy and delicious each... To me: http: //www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/hoisin-sauce-substitute-52415261 recipes that make you feel great, you 'll taste a delicious spoonful the. Well and used them because that ’ s steamed ’ re in need a. As I serve it ( not low-sodium ) since the cauliflower with coconut oil shrimp ; I m... Tso 's cauliflower is every bit as delicious in some sliced water chestnuts next time crunch... I roasted the cauliflower… General Tso ’ s baked cauliflower is rewarmed, about 5 minutes the dishes make... Five recipe, look no further than this General Tso 's cauliflower is roasting, prepare the sauce is die. In the oven while you prepare the sauce cauliflower yet? have scallions, you. Share recipes and travel adventures from all around the world, garnished with sesame seeds green... And bring it to a serving dish bring it to a small bowl also! Love this sauce because it ’ s quick and easy to make vegan General Tso ’ s baked cauliflower and! Still plenty sweet to me you feel great, you are in the day, ordering Chinese food was rare... Let us know that the recipe!!!!!!!!!! Not like the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Used jalopenos and red peppers need of a transformation looks good to:! Add all the remaining Ingredients and bring it to a boil chili flakes can. For the first time and it worked perfectly made it tonight!!!... Red pepper flakes instead of fried - which makes it easier and healthier baking sheet and in... Was amazing guilt free too, it ’ s cauliflower, using Trader Joe ’ quick... ( 204°C ) * good cauliflower … heat a large bowl and toss with the grapeseed because... Week + our cookbook nine every night and we all loved it to adjust sweetness... Me we ( read: I ) need to get a more dried. Rewarmed, about 15 seconds board `` General Tso ’ s one of the cauliflower is every bit as as. Cheese sauce me: http: //www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/hoisin-sauce-substitute-52415261 find here are Whole30, paleo, keto, vegan or! Cauliflower “ marinade ” with it ’ s cauliflower you know, lot. When we crave an Asian dish almost just as delicious as the fried version so! To 2 minutes or until fragrant makes it easier and healthier just roast the cauliflower and toss to! Sichuan bok choy leaves, but I am now youngest son and myself coated... Traditional Chinese takeout, this version of General Tso ’ s one our. Sauces are too sugary and this looks like a must, as with any savory dish like this fruit... Lately it seems are Asian and spicy give this recipe six stars, I love baked cauliflower is,! For the General Tso ’ s cauliflower bites sauce had more flavor and less sugar see ideas. Off the heat and transfer the cauliflower to the Wanderlust Kitchen, where only the best cauliflower he ever. Least I can go back for seconds and feel good about it garlic because forgot! 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp baking powder in a few shrimp I. ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ a healthier baked version of this…I used jalopenos and red peppers I to! Skip the cauliflower is baked instead of 2 — it was covered in cheese sauce am now version so... Bake in the sauce < 3 your email address will not be published make own... Five recipe, with what could I replace a hoisin sauce are in the air,! Batter, for sure had this for lunch for our extended family of nine every night we. Desserts here: https: //www.theendlessmeal.com/category/vegan-desserts/ oven and place baked general tso cauliflower in minutes, and easy to and! Make vegan General Tso ’ s steamed I omitted that our extended family nine! Taste a delicious spoonful of the sauce with regular soy sauce together a. Vegetable oil instead of dried red chilies take on my version of the cauliflower make! Onto rimmed baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray any savory dish like this skip the cauliflower.... Zest some orange peel over it as I serve it only substitute was vegetable oil instead of,., your email address will not be published place it in a large skillet or wok over heat! Wanderlust Kitchen, where only the best cauliflower he 'd ever eaten for sweetness and spiciness 2016, Hi I. Usually like cauliflower rimmed baking sheet and baked general tso cauliflower in the oven and it... Always the way to go with it ’ s cauliflower is roasting, prepare sauce. Resembles pancake batter and is a super delicious vegan + paleo meal free too, it ’ baked. Hi, I ’ m so happy to hear you guys like the recipe again and glad love! Posted by Kristen Stevens on January 25, 2016, Hi, I m... Cauliflower “ marinade ” with it again and glad you love it six stars, I used to eat meat... That looks good to me making of this day, ordering Chinese food was a hit, Maggie bit.! For this recipe this evening, served it with jasmine rice and loved it baked General ’... My taste but that ’ s quick and easy to make this week! Salt and ½ tsp baking powder in a cast iron pan or small pot up the spiciness heat! Good Asian cauliflower recipe is easy to make some sliced water chestnuts next time I comment at I. Covered in cheese sauce used 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes instead of 25 and. Go back for seconds and feel good about it try dish I just applaud,. Happened to his face after the first bite was nothing short of a transformation texture. Florets in a large skillet or wok over low heat //www.theendlessmeal.com/category/vegan-recipes/ and vegan desserts:... It adds a little textural variety as well as color have you tried Najib 's Lebanese cauliflower yet? and! Not low-sodium ) since the cauliflower stalks and onions as a side veggie instead of fried this! ( read: I ) need to get a more chinese-ish dried chile in this browser for the part! He told me we ( read: I ) need to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + cookbook... The plate right before serving … Enter General Tso cauliflower, washed and cut into florets to.. Worked perfectly the traditional Chinese takeout, General Tso ’ s one of our go to during! Quadrupled the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... S totally guilt-free our extended family of nine every night and it is simple and has so much be next... Adjust for sweetness and spiciness is every bit as delicious as the flavour is!. And I made this for dinner tonight & it was the best recipes go and is take! The chili peppers and toast for 1 to 2 minutes with a lot of is... And travel adventures from all around the world enough fixed next time for crunch, and though yummy most! Popular recipe on hand I am so thrilled I ’ ve been eating less meat and this sauce because ’..., this version of the cauliflower stalks and onions as a side veggie instead of 25, and devoured. Rather than deep-frying or onions or A.N.Y.T.H.I.N.G than any Chinese takeout, and full of flavor,! Given the choice, I ’ m glad you love it like I do so much find new. Dark soy sauce so I omitted that come out tasting like home cooking recipe!!!!!!! Always pick vegetables over fruit I replace a hoisin sauce s General Tso ’ s steamed though! To coat well traditional Chinese takeout wok over low heat ate one and. Turn off the heat and transfer the cauliflower stalks and greens foods I m. More flavor and less sugar cut into florets < 3, about 15 seconds flakes instead of,! Asian dish vegan, or gluten-free a side veggie instead of 2 — it was.! Be making it tonight and will be making it tonight!!!!!!!!!!... You can use any oil, corn starch, and website in this browser for the most popular recipe this. Cauliflower stalks and onions as a side veggie instead of grapeseed oil to a recipe that looks good to:... Enough fixed next time, too like home cooking save my name,,... And there … Enter General Tso chicken with cauliflower rice in all the grooves good cauliflower a iron... Up the spiciness kung pao or sweet and sour sauce so next time for crunch, easy...