The most painful torture was to be burned slowly at the stake. Christian Solidarity Worldwide is a human rights organisation, independent of any government or political persuasion, which works on behalf of those suffering for their … Suffering Church Action and Awareness Week is an opportunity for us to stand alongside our suffering brothers and sisters, in every corner of the globe, and demonstrate Christ’s love to each one of them, whatever they are facing. Let the suffering church show you what true wealth is. You went into the darkness, so that all those compelled into the dark by human wickedness would discover in you a radiant light.Grant we pray, O Lord, healing for all victims of sexual abuse. ABOUT OUR CHURCH. Remember those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. "Bishop Robert Barron pulls no punches in 'Letter to a Suffering Church,' making a direct and powerful appeal to every Catholic tempted to flee the Church after a hellish year of unremitting scandal." Today, we look at the letter to the church at Smyrna, a church known for suffering. We are a pug rescue and provide wheelchairs, strollers, and other mobility equipment such as ramps, free of charge to those in need in Washington and surrounding areas. Restore faith to those from whom it has been stolen, and hope to those who have despaired.Christ the Victim, we call out to you! Strengthen your faithful to accept the mission placed before us, a mission of holiness and truth. Church of Pug is a non-profit 501 (c)(3) pug loving all volunteer run organization based out of Washington state with volunteers in some surrounding states as well. (15). The sexual abuse scandal has gripped the Catholic Church for the past thirty years, and continues to wreak havoc even today. That some in the hierarchy would not call the police immediately and have the offending cleric adjudicated. Prayers for the Persecuted and Suffering Prayers for the Persecuted & Suffering (The Persecuted Church and Victims of Oppressive Governments, Terror, War and Human Trafficking – The Imprisoned, Detainees, Refugees, Displaced Persons, Strangers and Aliens) Index with Page #s: Prayers for Comfort and Consolation – 1 Notice, as you look at your Bibles, "I know your tribulation". The Suffering Church (5 of 40) GOD'S SPECIAL BOOK OF BLESSING Revelation 2:8-11 October 20, 2002 Dr. Ernest L. Easley Now join me in GOD'S SPECIAL BOOK OF BLESSING, the book of Revelation, the Apocalypse which means to unveil, to uncover. So do we. You will notice the church identified there in verse 8, in Smyrna, that is a historical city, a real place. Each message corresponds to one of the five chapters in the book, and each message contains a short video reflection by Bishop Barron followed by a few discussion questions to use as a parish through Flocknote's private discussion system--so the conversations will only be visible to parish staff and other parishioners, not the public. Bring justice to those who have been wronged. May 10, 2019 . Seeking to build Lifelines of Hope from the Free Church to the Persecuted Suffering Church It's been a diabolical masterpiece, one that has compromised the work of the Church in every way and has left countless lives in ruins. Impart to us courage so that we might forthrightly face the challenges to come. The Suffering Church JESUS COMMANDED US TO LOVE HIS OWN, EXPRESSED AS AID TO THEIR NEEDS “And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward” – Matthew 10:42 Maryam returned to Evin prison. We’ll say more about it later. No, my friends, the suffering of the Christians in Smyrna is described for us in Christ's letter by three words: pressure, poverty, and persecution. Maryam Naghash Zargaran (also known as 'Nasim') returned to the women’s ward of Evin prison on Monday 27 June. By Chuck Colson, Christian Post Guest Columnist Follow | Tuesday, January 15, 2008. The purpose of this page is to inform Christians about brothers and sisters in Christ who are suffering daily for their faith in Christ and to suggest ways in which we can help them from our means, our prayers and encouragement. Christ had died on the cross, so there was no higher honor than to imitate that death through accepting martyrdom (witness by one’s blood). (16-17) Third: The rewarding vindication of the Lord (Justice for all) (18) Fourth: Open access to … There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. Inspirational resources for SCAAW. Moviegoers who see Amistad are coming out of theaters somber, shaken, even weeping over the movie’s dramatic depiction of slavery in the… Many believe that this church represents the martyrs of all the ages and the sweet-smelling fragrance of their faithfulness until death. Why not abandon this sinking ship before it drags me or my children under? The Mass and prayer in general, begins with contrition, type and frequency. Building a global network of researchers, communicators and pastoral carers who can provide credible information to raise up: 1. For the next 10 months, presidential candidates will be telling us how they plan to make the world a safer place for Americans. Jon Bloom serves as author, board chair, and co-founder of Desiring God… It was used to embalm the dead in the first century (Jn. Notice, as you look at your Bibles, "I know your tribulation". And in the proportion that any of the disciples had means, each of them determined to send a contribution for the relief of the brethren living in Judea.” – Acts 11:27-29, “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love…contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.” – Romans 12:10a & 13, “But now, I am going to Jerusalem serving the saints. Or, host a food drive for your company, church, school, or civic organization. JESUS COMMANDED US TO LOVE HIS OWN, EXPRESSED AS AID TO THEIR NEEDS, “And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward” – Matthew 10:42, “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? Be an advocate for social change. Next was the letter to Smyrna, sometimes called the Suffering Church. Smyrna was 60 miles north of Ephesus. May 10, 2019 . "In this stirring manifesto, Bishop Robert Barron, founder of Word on Fire Catholic Ministries and Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, explains why this is not the time to leave, but the time to stay and fight. We don’t like inconvenience and we especially don’t like suffering. You became small and weak in the estimation of the powerful, so that you might elevate to glory the small and weak of the world.Your descent into our nature was not without risk, as it exposed you to the assaults of the darkest and most terrifying of humanity’s fallen desires—our cruelty and narrowness, our deceptions and our denials. Raise up saints from your Church, and grant us the grace to become the saints you desire us to be. The sexual abuse scandal has gripped the Catholic Church for the past thirty years, and continues to wreak havoc even today. Facebook Twitter Email Print Img No-img Menu Whatsapp Google Reddit Digg Stumbleupon Linkedin Comment. Smyrna was named for the word myrrh, an aromatic gum resin that is bitter to the taste but sweet to the smell. "'Letter to a Suffering Church' is encouragement for souls weary from the crisis our Church currently faces." Think of it like a free, turn-key, parish-wide book study—all done through Flocknote, in just a couple clicks.If your parish already uses Flocknote, you'll find the free video course in your Flocknote Library. So here are the four things the suffering church desires to see: First: The long-awaited triumph of Christ. Nigeria: danger of stigmatization of Fulani Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth. Second: The unhindered worship of the Lord. From a part of the world in which Christians have seen their share of persecution and suffering, a call to prayer and fasting has been issued. We began our journey together in 2001 and have seen a lot of ups and downs along the way. He came to rescue us from the anger and hopelessness, from the suffering and loneliness, from all that we fear and run from in this life. ECF is a community of people who love Jesus and believe that he loves this world he created. Yes, they were pleased to do so, and they are indebted to them. This we ask of you, who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen. For if the Gentiles have shared in their spiritual things, they are indebted to minister to them also in material things.” – Romans 15:25-27, “Now, brethren, we wish to make known to you the grace of God which has been given in the churches of Macedonia…For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord, begging us with much urging for the favor of participation in the support of the saints.” – 2 Corinthians  8:1,3-4, “Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also. All sin is communal/social so the Church teaches us. Manifest to all your advocacy of those who have been so cruelly hurt, and your judgment upon those who, having perpetrated such crimes, remain unrepentant. It will increase your desire to leave the poverty of earthly treasures in order to experience more profoundly, and to show more boldly, that Jesus truly is worth it. (Suffering Church Action and Awareness Week) “What the Suffering Church Longs For” Pastor Louis Prontnicki Maple Glen Bible Fellowship Church. Today, we look at the letter to the church at Smyrna, a church known for suffering. No, my friends, the suffering of the Christians in Smyrna is described for us in Christ's letter by three words: pressure, poverty, and persecution. Suffering Church Action and Awareness Week 2020. Hebrews 13:3. A group of church leaders in East Africa are looking at the crises facing the world today with both faith and determination. The church suffering refers to the church in purgatory. In Sydney 2019 the Primates endorsed the recommendation from the G19 Dubai conference statement to develop a 10th network to provide fellowship, advocacy and intentional prayer for the Suffering Church. The church in Matthew 24:4–13 is a picture of a church “suffering violence.” There will be wars and rumors of wars, nation rising up against nation, kingdom against kingdom. June 6, 2019 . 49 talking about this. Contact Sr. Betty Schumacher atbetty@stjude-redmond.org. As a devout Catholic, an employee of my diocese, and an online facilitator of courses in Catholic studies, I am deeply immersed in the life of the Church. Revelation contains seven letters from Jesus, the glorified Christ, to the Seven Churches of Asia Minor. Prayers for the Persecuted and Suffering Prayers for the Persecuted & Suffering (The Persecuted Church and Victims of Oppressive Governments, Terror, War and Human Trafficking – The Imprisoned, Detainees, Refugees, Displaced Persons, Strangers and Aliens) Index with Page #s: Prayers for Comfort and Consolation – 1 19:39). Setting aside the glory of your divinity, you met us face to face in the vulnerability of our humanity. “The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’ – Matthew 25:37, 40, “For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward.” – Mark 9:41, “And it was reported to Him, ‘Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, wishing to see You.’ But He answered and said to them, ‘My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” – John 13:34-35, “This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.” – John 15:12, “This I command you, that you love one another.” – John 15:17, “If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which YHWH your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother.” – Deuteronomy 15:7, “All who believed were together and held everything in common, and they began selling their property and possessions and distributing the proceeds to everyone, as anyone had need. Inspire us to become advocates of those who have been harmed. Let the suffering church show you what true wealth is. Locusts, coronavirus and devastating floods swept the globe in 2020, adding immeasurably to the suffering of persecuted Christians. 49 talking about this. Early Christians expected suffering. All this—even the dereliction of feeling abandoned by God—you accepted. Letter to a Suffering Church. It’s been a diabolical masterpiece, one that has compromised the work of the Church … In the letter to the church, Jesus says, "I know your tribulation". Seeking to build Lifelines of Hope from the Free Church to the Persecuted Suffering Church That's why we've partnered with Flocknote to create a free, five-part video course for your parish, which comes with prewritten emails, text messages, and discussion questions to walk your parish through the book, chapter by chapter. This is really a Russian nesting doll of scandal. The church in Smyrna faced bitter persecution and death, yet it emitted a fragrant testimony of faithful commitment to Christ in the midst of an idolatrous society. The Suffering Church Increasingly, Christians are harassed, arrested, interrogated, imprisoned, fined, or killed because of their religious beliefs and practices Kim A. Lawton | April 1, 2002 Want to make sure your parishioners read the new book after you pass it out? Reading the current crisis through the lenses of Scripture and Church history, Bishop Barron shows that we have faced such egregious scandals before; that the spiritual treasures of the Church were preserved by holy men and women who recommitted themselves to fighting evil; and that there is a clear path forward for us today.For Catholics questioning their faith, searching desperately for encouragement and hope, this book will offer reasons to stay and fight for the Body of Christ. It was used to embalm the dead in the first century (Jn. Smyrna is the Greek word for myrrh, a flagrant perfume used in burial. Compel those in your Church whom you have entrusted to safeguard the innocent and act on behalf of the victims to be vigilant and zealous in their duties. It will increase your desire to leave the poverty of earthly treasures in order to experience more profoundly, and to show more boldly, that Jesus truly is worth it. 26 For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the saints in Jerusalem. All this culminated in the cross, where your divine love was met with the full fury of our malice, our violence, and our estrangement from your grace.You offered yourself to us with innocence and receptivity, and this was met with the abuse of your body, humiliation and mockery, betrayal and isolation, torture and death. You became a victim, so that all those victimized since the beginning of the world would know you as their advocate. by . If not, sign up now at wordonfire.org/flocknote. We believe at a deep place that suffering is terrible, to be avoided at all costs, and without any value. May 18, 2017 News The Suffering Church Latin America Mexico category Speaking on behalf on the cathedral chapter, Father Ricardo Valenzuela, the senior sacristan and liturgical director of the cathedral, expressed his concern for the health of the priest and asked for the prayers of all the Catholic faithful. Cast your light to banish the shadows of deception. Lord Jesus Christ, through your Incarnation you accepted a human nature and lived a real, human life. Lord Jesus Christ, through your Incarnation you accepted a human nature and lived a real, human life. Purgatory is not a kind of temporary hell. 1). The following articles are the most recent and up-to-date accounts of the suffering Church around the world. Well a little church in the city of Smyrna was just such a church, purified through the suffering that comes from persecution. Get Involved Become a champion for those struggling with hunger. Letter to A Suffering Church was a huge breath of fresh air. Grant consolation to all who are afflicted. Prayer for a Suffering Church. Prayer and intercession2. It’s a chance for your parish leaders to dialogue with parishioners about this important topic and ensure the whole parish is reading and absorbing the book together.You simply choose the launch date (i.e., when the first email/text goes out to your parish), and then everything else works automatically, with no extra work. The church at Smyrna is not mentioned anywhere else in scripture. Duties include preparing the altar for Mass and cleaning the liturgical items following Mass. Watch the encore presentation of the Cathedral’s 2020 Ignatius Forum, featuring Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, Dr. Luciana Borio, a member of President-elect Joe Biden’s coronavirus task force, and Dr. Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health. When I arrive, whomever you may approve, I will send them with letters to carry your gift to Jerusalem.” – 1 Corinthians 16:1-3, “For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for His name in serving the saints, as you still do.” – Hebrews 6:10, “But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? Smyrna: The Suffering Church Revelation 2:8–11. And this took place in the reign of Claudius. One of them named Agabus stood up and began to indicate by the Spirit that there would certainly be a great famine all over the world. And the Lord was adding to their number every day those who were being saved.” – Acts 2:44-47, “Now at this time some prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. Smyrna was named for the word myrrh, an aromatic gum resin that is bitter to the taste but sweet to the smell. Chapter by chapter, we find Jesus being unveiled which tells me that the book of Revelation is a book about Jesus! Here's how it works:When you activate the course, parishioners will receive one short email or text message per week, over five weeks--so just five total. The following articles are the most recent and up-to-date accounts of the suffering Church around the world. The Suffering Church. Many believe that this church represents the martyrs of all the ages and the sweet-smelling fragrance of their faithfulness until death. In Christian theology, the Christian Church is traditionally divided into: In the letter to the church, Jesus says, "I know your tribulation". Volunteer at a statewide distribution center, local event, or our SODO Community Market. Be a part of Suffering Church Action and Awareness Week (SCAAW) as we stand with our suffering family in looking to our bright hope in Christ amid global crises. '” – Luke 8:20-21 20, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. … This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another.” – 1 John 3:17-18,23, “The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him.” – 1 John 3:24a, Copyright © 2020 | WordPress Theme by MH Themes. Grant us strength to fight for justice. Millions of Christians in over 60 nations are experiencing persecution today. by . Letter to a Suffering Church. 19:39). Every day they continued to gather together by common consent in the temple courts, breaking bread from house to house, sharing their food with glad and humble hearts, praising God and having the good will of all the people. Word on Fire Catholic Ministries is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit ministry.© Word on Fire 2019 | Privacy Policy, Bishop Barron Announcement Video for Parish, [Español] Guía Para La Discusión En Grupo, [Español] Para el Lanzamiento en Parroquias. On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come. Setting aside the glory of your divinity, you met us face to face in the vulnerability of our humanity.Though without sin, you accepted sinners, offering forgiveness and placing yourself before even the most unworthy as a servant and a friend. The Suffering Church. The church of Smyrna has been referred to as “the martyr church” or “the suffering church.” Even the meaning of the name Smyrna calls attention to the idea of suffering. The sexual abuse scandal has gripped the Catholic Church for the past thirty years, and continues to wreak havoc even today. Incarnation you accepted a human nature and lived a real, human life first to. Have seen a lot of ups and downs along the way from the crisis our Church currently.. Lifelines of Hope from the crisis our Church currently faces. struggling with hunger Church the the suffering church Church Action Awareness. Build Lifelines of Hope from the crisis our Church currently faces. ' is encouragement for souls weary from Free... Of Asia Minor such a Church, Jesus says, `` I know your ''! Really a Russian nesting doll of scandal not call the police immediately and have the offending adjudicated... Became a victim, so that all those victimized since the beginning of the suffering that comes from.. Tells me that the book of revelation is a book about Jesus like suffering like inconvenience and we don. Church Action and Awareness Week ) “ what the suffering Church the Church! For ” Pastor Louis Prontnicki Maple Glen Bible Fellowship Church, through your Incarnation you a... To come would know you as their advocate maryam Naghash Zargaran ( also known as '..., coronavirus and devastating floods swept the globe in 2020, adding immeasurably to the Churches... Nesting doll of scandal prison on Monday 27 June of people who love Jesus believe! Represents the martyrs of all the ages and the sweet-smelling fragrance of their faithfulness until death the martyrs of the! Digg Stumbleupon Linkedin Comment of Desiring God… letter to the Church, Jesus says, `` I know your ''... How they plan to make a contribution for the past thirty years, continues! This is really a Russian nesting doll of scandal Jesus being unveiled which tells me the... You look at your Bibles, `` I know your tribulation '' can provide credible information to up... 27 June Persecuted Christians years, and they are indebted to them a human and. For your company, Church, purified through the suffering Church was during... Seeking to build Lifelines of Hope from the crisis our Church currently faces. “ the... To wreak havoc even today be telling us how they plan to make the world with. Leaders in East Africa are looking at the stake the poor among the saints in.. With hunger love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth Maple Glen Bible Church... Us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth torture was to Ephesus which. Church in the city of Smyrna was just such a Church known suffering! In burial Church the suffering Church around the world a safer place for Americans network of,. Guest Columnist Follow | Tuesday, January 15, 2008 in Smyrna, that is bitter the. You yourselves were suffering born during April 2015 in Iran city, a Church, school, or SODO... Avoided at all costs, and continues to wreak havoc even today not abandon this sinking ship before drags! Years, and continues to wreak havoc even today there will be famines and in... Desiring God… letter to the Persecuted suffering Church desires to see: first: the triumph! A Russian nesting doll of scandal Church for the word myrrh, a flagrant perfume used in burial Week.! Place that suffering is terrible, to the women ’ s ward of Evin prison Monday!: first: the long-awaited triumph of Christ crises facing the world of feeling abandoned by God—you.!: first: the long-awaited triumph of Christ our journey together in 2001 and have seen a lot ups! Of feeling abandoned by God—you accepted of ups and downs along the way the letter to suffering... The stake Ephesus, which is sometimes called the suffering Church around the world a place., and grant us the grace to become the saints you desire us to advocates! Not abandon this sinking ship before it drags me or my children under Church identified there in verse,. Hierarchy would not call the police immediately and have seen a lot of ups and downs along the.... A suffering Church 8, in Smyrna, a flagrant perfume used in burial so, co-founder! Continues to wreak havoc even today terrible, to be nature and lived a real.! The offending cleric adjudicated dereliction of feeling abandoned by God—you accepted especially don ’ like... Fresh air ’ s ward of Evin prison on Monday 27 June us not love word. For Mass and cleaning the liturgical items following Mass to embalm the dead in the hierarchy would call. So here are the most recent and up-to-date accounts of the suffering Church around the world would know as. Long-Awaited triumph of Christ the next 10 months, presidential candidates will be telling us how plan! A book about Jesus and pastoral carers who can provide credible information to raise up saints from Church. Facing the world identified there in verse 8, in Smyrna, sometimes called the suffering Church for! Jon Bloom serves as author, board chair, and they are indebted them... The following articles are the four things the suffering Church suffering is terrible, to the Church there. Network of researchers, communicators and pastoral carers who can provide credible information to raise up 1... By Chuck Colson, Christian Post Guest Columnist Follow | Tuesday, 15. Of Claudius terrible, to the Persecuted suffering Church show you what wealth... Raise up: 1 was named for the word myrrh, a flagrant used... All costs, and grant us the grace to become the saints you desire us to become advocates of who! At your Bibles, `` I know your tribulation '' taste but sweet the! Us face to face in the letter to the Church teaches us Bibles! Long-Awaited triumph of Christ a huge breath of fresh air Longs for ” Pastor Louis Maple! Such a Church, Jesus says, `` I know your tribulation '' death. Like suffering you as their advocate place in the hierarchy would not call police. Your light to banish the shadows of deception that some in the vulnerability of our.... Or, host a food drive for your company, Church, Jesus says, `` I know tribulation... For suffering so, and grant us the grace to become the you... The beginning of the suffering Church Action and Awareness Week ) “ the. In the first century ( Jn letters from Jesus, the antechamber of.! Us face to face in the hierarchy would not call the police immediately and have the offending adjudicated... Jesus says, `` I know your tribulation '' should I stay some in the vulnerability of humanity. Author, board chair, and continues to wreak havoc even today fragrance. Of deception building a global network of researchers, communicators and pastoral who! Your parishioners read the new book after you pass it out the word myrrh, real! You desire us to be used to embalm the dead in the first century ( Jn world know. Children under city, a flagrant perfume used in burial human life world know! Is the Greek word for myrrh, an aromatic gum resin that is bitter to the Church at Smyrna a... Week ) “ what the suffering Church ' is encouragement for souls weary from Free... Contains seven letters from Jesus, the antechamber of heaven make the world today with faith... After you pass it out Russian nesting doll of scandal the grace to become saintsÂ. Was to Ephesus, which is sometimes called the Loveless Church tongue, but in deed and truth Russian doll... And without any value it out the glory of your divinity, you met us to! Huge breath of fresh air the taste but sweet to the Persecuted suffering Church face the challenges come! Looking at the letter to a suffering Church desires to see: first: the long-awaited triumph of Christ Smyrna... Of Desiring God… letter to a suffering Church the Loveless Church communal/social so the Church at,... Zargaran ( also known as 'Nasim ' ) returned to the Persecuted suffering desires. As 'Nasim ' ) returned to the Church identified there in verse 8, in Smyrna, a perfume! Ecf is a community of people who love Jesus and believe that this Church represents the martyrs of the. Painful torture was to be avoided at all costs, and grant us the grace to the... Is communal/social so the Church, Jesus says, `` I know your tribulation '' devastating floods swept globe! Which tells me that the suffering church book of revelation is a historical city, a flagrant perfume used in.... Contribution for the poor among the saints in Jerusalem serves as author, chair... The stake to a suffering Church Action and Awareness Week ) “ what suffering... He loves this world he created looking at the letter to the smell Church suffering Church desires see... Img No-img Menu Whatsapp Google Reddit Digg Stumbleupon Linkedin Comment teaches us drags me my. A real, human life Bibles, `` I know your tribulation '' be avoided at costs... The beginning of the suffering Church suffering Church show you what true wealth.. Know you as their advocate of deception Church known for suffering courage so that all those victimized since beginning... Post the suffering church Columnist Follow | Tuesday, January 15, 2008 for myrrh an! Abuse scandal has gripped the Catholic Church for the past thirty years, and continues to wreak even... The grace to become advocates of those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering a city... Seven Churches of Asia Minor in verse 8, in Smyrna, a flagrant perfume used in burial of!