If the spots on your viburnum leaves are more rust-colored than brown, the plants may have a rust infection. On plant Viburnum tinus. but am new to posting. Mildew diseases can also be a reason leaves turn brown on viburnum species. The disease anthracnose (caused by Colletotrichum spp. Fruits September. If the brown leaves on viburnum are caused by leaf spot disease or anthracnose, you can treat the plants with fungicides available in commerce. And there is likely to be another time since I've been buying my natives from an arboretum that hosts a fundraising native plant sale twice a year. I did the best I could with the roots, planted it, mulched them both lightly with compost, and hoped for the best. Powdery mildew, a viburnum disease caused by a fungus, tends to develop when the weather delivers warm days, cool nights and high humidity. Among the most common causes for viburnum leaves turning brown or black are leaf spot diseases. I suspect the darkening of a few leaves (recently after transplantation and some root disturbance) is normal. But I don't believe your plants are suffering from any of the fungal disorders indicated. Black Spots on Viburnum Asked June 12, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT We have a grouping of Carlesii Compactum Viburnums and two of them have paler green leaves with black areas on the leaves (picture attached). I have had my tree 6 months and it has never looked good. Cause The blackening of leaves, usually starting along the vein, is due to water-logging. Supplied in a 5 litre pot. Black Spots on Viburnum Asked June 12, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT We have a grouping of Carlesii Compactum Viburnums and two of them have paler green leaves with black areas on the leaves (picture attached). Viburnum Leaves Turn Brown From Edges In And Fall Off. Fruit is similar to that of Viburnum opulus but is used for preserves and jellies. What is a viburnum borer? Many gardeners decide to plant viburnum because it is usually pest free. Its dark-green foliage turns purplish-red in fall, and its fruit turns from pink to bluish-black, with a waxy, gray bloom. Full Sun/Partial Shade. Leaves look much like those of Viburnum opulus; they emerge reddish tinged, mature to dark green, turn yellow to red-purple in fall. The tops of viburnum leaves infected by powdery mildew are covered with a powdery fungal growth. I hate to complain under the circumstances (especially since natives are hard to find in our area); I'll try to be more careful about which ones I select in the future. Don't panic. You’ll see mildew diseases more often during times of humidity. My Viburnum's leaves have dried up and turned brown. I left on vacation and came back to leaves blackening and dropping off. I believe you are correct; yesterday I noticed the leaves drooping when I went to water it. The spots begin small but merge together and may appear red or gray. Very fragrant pink flowers, opening from red buds from mid to late spring followed by black fruit. Hardy. Q. Viburnum Leaves Have Black Spots - I also have some viburnum plants turning yellow from green and appear to be dying. Kids overdosing on screen time? Couple that with constantly wet leaves, and you may have a case of a temporary pathogen expressed as leaf deterioration that should clear up as the plant roots into its new home. It may be time to foster more self-directed play. This viburnum species is quite at home in wet soils, being native to swampy areas and along bodies of water. If this is a decent sized plant (you didn't say; was it a 5G or so? Viburnum > Leaves > Leaves brown to black and wilted. A rounded shrub with glossy, dark green leaves. VIBURNUM. Douglas Hunt. Since then weÂve had rain every 2-3 days, some of it very heavy (twice weÂve had 2" or so). 3 ltr pot. I suspect the darkening of a few leaves (recently after transplantation and some root disturbance) is normal. IÂll try to be brief. This is a contagious disease, so you’ll want to destroy diseased plants in the spring before new growth starts. With powdery mildew, young viburnum leaves and shoots develop a white to light gray fungus covering on leaves. Leaf spots and anthracnose are fairly common on viburnum foliage, but these foliar diseases are not usually serious. 2nd Viburnum in the space of 3 years that this has happened. Let us know the progress of your viburnums. Plants sited in shade suffer most from them. With powdery mildew, young viburnum leaves and shoots develop a white to light gray fungus covering on leaves. Try and avoid overhead irrigation and improve the air-flow around the plant by pruning out some of the centre of the plant if it becomes congested. This viburnum species is quite at home in wet soils, being native to swampy areas and along bodies of water. Do you think whatever happened to the parent plant has transferred to its cutting? Various fungi, including the anthracnose fungus, can cause viburnum leaves to develop black, sunken lesions. Less susceptible to aphid damage than Viburnum opulus. The leaves are turning red/brown, falling off and dying, and branches are weak at base of plant, falling off as well. Botryosphaeria canker Botryosphaeria dothidea. Don’t panic. Flowers April to May. For example, treat anthracnose by spraying the leaves with a copper fungicide. Max Height 1.5 Max Spread 2m. The grubs cause more significant damage than do the adults. They are variously colored--pale yellowish, black or brown. A dribble or point source of watering at the base of the plant is actually much better than overall rainfall in keeping the root system moist until it breaks out into the surrounding soil with dissimilar texture. Both powdery mildew and downy mildew can result in brown viburnum leaves as the foliage dies. Downy mildew causes light green spots mostly on the lower leaves. The larvae of these insects can virtually destroy the leaves of your plant. Also large rounded compact clusters of pink buds blooming in late spring turning to sweetly fragrant, pinkish white flowers. Do not use overhead irrigation and leave sufficient space between your plants for air to pass through. I have 5 large full-gown viburnums planted in full sun. The roots, when examined, are a bluish-black … Treating Viburnum Leaf Curl Both aphids and thrips are relatively easy to control with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil, but control usually requires repeat treatment every week or so. Take a close look at your browning viburnum leaves. I'll post soon about the hedgerow I'm trying to build, and hope to hear from you about that as well. Grows 12-15 feet tall. Answer. 20 Aug, 2008; Featured on: viburnum Leaf spot fungal diseases, as well as the fungal disease anthracnose, usually do not do lasting harm to your plants. Why do viburnum leaves turn brown? Larva usually feed on the undersides of leaves, making them difficult to … 3 answers . the leaves are now curling and turning black and the tree has hardly grown. Tiny round black fungal structures can sometimes be seen within white spots. You’ll see mildew diseases more often during times of humidity. Small red fruit -- technically known as drupes -- that age to black may develop, although not as prolifically as other viburnums. Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips! This is also caused by various fungi. Rain helps to slow this viburnum disease, which is always more severe on plants sited in shade. Viburnum leaf surfaces are flecked and whitened; leaf tips whither, curl and die. Prevention & Control: Many foliar problems can be prevented by keeping leaves as dry as possible. Asked April 26, 2019, 9:41 AM EDT. the leaves are now curling and turning black and the tree has hardly grown. Fruits June. Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz, Plant downy arrowwood in eastern and midwestern U.S. gardens for spring color in the shade and bright red fall foliage, Roll with the cooler weather by planting away. it is planted in mostly sun any ideas on what i should do. The leaves are turning red/brown, falling off and dying, and branches are weak at base of plant, falling off as well. My Viburnum's leaves have dried up and turned brown. looks as though it is dead. Leaves may turn reddish purple or pale yellow around fugal growth. A couple of weeks ago I planted one viburnum nudum species and one Winterthur about 8 ft apart. Space plants out, don’t plant them too close together and prune out any over-hanging tree branches. Leaf undersides are spotted with tiny black specks of excrement. If they have irregular brown spots that are sunken and dry, they may have a fungal spot disease. Guelder rose has palmately (hand-shaped) lobed leaves. Max Spread 2.5m. Soil drenches or granular applications of dinotefuran or imidacloprid will give some thrips suppression. Callicarpa bodinieri var. Everyone must be out gardening - imagine that. Overall, they're looking sparse. VIBURNUM. Don’t panic. 270 locations nationwide. Leaves may be twisted or deformed by infection. Leaves on one or more branches wilt, die and turn brown Cankers are sunken, dark colored areas on branches Fungal fruiting bodies give canker area a rough or pimpled appearance Infected young shoots turn dark brown and curl over in a shepherd's crook Max Height 2.5m. Keeping leaves relatively dry is the key to preventing leaf spot diseases where leaves turn brown on viburnum. A bushy shrub with dark green leaves turning red in autumn. Guelder rose (Viburnum opulus) – all the flowers that make up the umbel are the same size whereas those of the guelder rose are larger on the outside with smaller ones in the centre. Black & dropped leaves on newly planted Brandywine Witherod Viburnum. Clusters of fragrant, white flowers from mid to late spring, followed by red fruit, ripening to black in autumn. Hi all. Powdery mildewMicrosphaera penicillata or Erysiphe viburni. Find more gardening information on Gardening Know How: Keep up to date with all that's happening in and around the garden. eshore21814. 1 of 4. Blooms midspring, bearing lace-cap flowers to 4 inches across. Viburnum davidii is dioecious, so you’ll need both male and female plants to … Fungal leaf spotappears as black spots on the leaves.
Gently tip the paper to remove any bits of trash and then examine the paper in bright sunlight. The species is doing splendidly and has new growth. This year all 5 flowered, but all 5 have VERY tiny leaves. Larva are initially greenish-yellow, turning yellow-brown with black spots as they develop, reaching a total length of about 10 mm. VLB larva hatch in mid to late spring and immediately start feeding on their host plants. White, powdery fungal growth on both upper and lower surface of leaves. Why Are the Leaves on My Virburnums Turning Red? By being good at handling bare root plants, though, a new arena of efficiency and cost effectiveness is now your playground. Burkwoodii. Rake up and burn the brown viburnum leaves that have fallen. Thanks viburnumvalley for sharing your wisdom (I have been hoping that you would come across my post). All these things (as well as additional things too numerous to mention) will aid any gardener in becoming more confident in selecting and handling plants, bare root or not. It had never occurred to me to do this and now I think I will try it the next time I end up with a pot bound plant. Symptoms Holes eaten in the leaves of viburnums, with the larger leaf veins remaining, giving the foliage a lace like appearance Creamy yellow larvae, with black markings and up to 8mm long, are present on plants from April to June Greyish brown adult beetles, 4.5-6mm long, feed on … viburnum leaves turning brown. Various fungi, including the anthracnose fungus, can cause viburnum leaves to develop black, sunken lesions. Leaves on one or more branches wilt, die and turn brown; ... leaf edges turn brown leaves wilt and the branch dies; Too wet isn't usually a problem. Too wet isn't usually a problem. Powdery mildew, a viburnum disease caused by a fungus, tends to develop when the weather delivers warm days, cool nights and high humidity. Âlearn about habits of root systems in plants, Âspread out the disentangled root system in an appropriately sized planting area, Âproperly prepare the soil for replanting a bare root plant, so that the soil settles in around the root system, Âmakes one a much better shopper when selecting plants, Âwhich then one can express to the proprietors/vendors so that they alter their strategies in offering such a product. Hereof, why are the leaves on my viburnum turning brown? Viburnum has attractive leaves and has fragrant flowers. Rain helps to slow this viburnum disease, which is always more severe on plants sited in shade. Keeping leaves relatively dry is the key to preventing leaf spot diseas… Many varieties also boast of fruits that are spherical in shape and with colours ranging from red, yellow, black, to blue. In most cases, fungus is to blame. If your plant comes under attack, then it … My Evergreen Viburnum Leaves Are Dying. The lesions can spread across the leaf surface and eventually dry up and turn red or grayish-brown. 20 Aug, 2008; Featured on: viburnum Thanks again! Cover the leaves thoroughly, both the tops and undersides. This particular plant was a cutting I took from the original. Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting gallery. I have three leather leaf viburnums in my yard -- located with 30 feet of each other. Raking up and destroying any infecte… Has the situation with your Viburnum nudum changed at all within the last week? The Winterthur has several leaves that are turning black from the tip to about halfway down the leaf. ... Larva are initially greenish-yellow, turning yellow-brown with black spots as they develop, reaching a total length of about 10 mm. Two of them are absolutely thriving and healthy. ... sand (more sand than loam) so I havenÂt been very concerned about drainage  until now. Among the most common causes for viburnum leaves turning brown or black are leaf spot diseases. Are the black spots a… Q. 2nd Viburnum in the space of 3 years that this has happened. Full Sun/Partial Shade. Sign up for our newsletter. Why Are the Leaves on My Virburnums Turning Red? I'm surprised there's been no response to your question, eshore21814. Hardy. I had already removed and disposed of the blackened leaves a few days before and have been checking daily for other signs of distress. Leaf spot fungal diseases, as well as the fungal disease anthracnose, usually do not do lasting harm to your plants. This also reduces opportunities for unnecessary or inadvertant transport of insects, diseases, weeds, and other pathogens that may come with a soil medium. If you have a male dog that runs in your garden, this may explain the brown viburnum leaves. ), you could clip off the discolored leaves and discard them. Our gardening guides tell you what plant picks are best for each U.S. region, Going nuts planning summer activities? Viburnum leaves infected by rust will wither and die. Viburnum turning black. Viburnum is a genus of over 150 evergreen, semi-evergreen, and deciduous (meaning they shed leaves yearly) plants. 12 years ago (note: I've cross-posted this to Native Plants forum too.) I was told it might be infected with a borer. Viburnum. The fruits appeal to birds and other wildlife. Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Inspiration for dinner time under the stars, Inspiration for making that best pizza ever, Great Design Plant: Viburnum Rafinesquianum Colors the Fall Woodland, Welcome the Turning Season: Advice for Your September Garden, Turn Off the Video Games and Turn On Your Kid's Creativity, Eradicating English Ivy (surreptitiously), Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery. Viburnum Rhytidophyllum from Burncoose Nurseries available online to buy - Information: corrugated leaves, white flowers, red ovoid berries which turn black. Not a bad plan of action. The best thing to do is plant a variety that is resistant to this insect. Answered. A member of the honeysuckle family, the viburnum genus (Viburnum spp.) Is it simply a need for water? Plants are much less expensive and much LIGHTER to handle (shipping-wise, and in your garden), making your $$ and efforts go farther. Viburnum leaf beetles are a recent threat to these shrubs that were once fairly resistant to most pests. Sometimes a very potbound plant can have trouble taking up moisture once planted, since watering may not be quite as focused on the restricted space that roots really occupy (the former potted zone). What could this be? Identify Viburnums In Picture - The article on a viburnum hedge shows a picture at the beginning with nice fall foliage but does not identify… Our soil is loamy sand (more sand than loam) so I havenÂt been very concerned about drainage  until now. Read on for information about the different reasons you might see brown leaves on viburnum plants. Drooping Leather Leaf Viburnum. 3 … I very much appreciate your comments about bare rooting plants. ), appears as black, sunken lesions. However, sometimes the plant does have disease problems that cause brown viburnum leaves. Leaves that die from these infections turn brown. I'll be extra vigilant about watering throughout the hot summer months. This particular plant was a cutting I took from the original. What could this be? If your leaves turn brown on viburnum because of mildew diseases, take steps to reduce water on them by using the same tips as for leaf spot diseases. On plant Viburnum tinus. Mapleleaf Viburnum (Viburnum acerifolium): Native to the mountains and upper Piedmont of South Carolina, this species grows slowly to 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide, and has dark green leaves with three lobes, like maple leaves.This species has excellent fall color with leaves turning bright pink to reddish purple in fall. Botryosphaeria canker Botryosphaeria dothidea. Leaf spot fungal diseases, as well as the fungal disease anthracnose, usually do not do lasting harm to your plants. I planted this shrub a couple of weeks ago. If they have irregular brown spots that are sunken and dry, they may have a fungal spot disease. So why do viburnum leaves turn brown? it is planted in mostly sun any ideas on what i should do. Viburnum x carlcephalum also commonly known as Fragrant Snowball is a deciduous shrub that's large and bushy with broadly oval leaves. Q. This usually happens in summer. The middle one lost several major branches over the winter, the leaves are drooping and some are turning yellow. Dog urine also causes viburnum leaves to brown. looks as though it is dead. £7.50. giraldii ‘Profusion’ giraldii ‘Profusion’ is underused shrub whose violet … The lesions can spread across the leaf surface and eventually dry up and turn red or grayish-brown. Adult borers have ½ inch bluish black bodies with yellow markings and a ¾ inch wingspan – wings are clear More information on Viburnum clearwing borer; 2 of 5. VIBURNUM. High Nitrogen, high salt index chemical fertilizers can desiccate roots and therefore restrict uptake of water. My viburnum bushes appear to be dying or are infected. Have you noticed the leaves "flagging" (drooping) at all? Come fall, the deeply veined, slightly fuzzy leaves turn rusty red. Adult thrips are tiny, slender insects, 1/25 inch long. Hot air, especially sudden rises in temperature, can leach all the moisture out of your plants and cause blackened leaves. This Chinese native viburnum is a low-growing evergreen shrub, with attractive veining on dark green leaves, white flowers from December through to April, and metallic blue berries. This is common after wet winters on heavy soils and is frequently seen on Aucuba (laurel) as a problem known as aucuba blackening. Viburnums are generally pest and disease free, trouble usually occurs when the plants are under stress; lack of water, too much water in poorly drained soil or lack of nutrients. Avoid overhead irrigation and improve air circulation with adequate plant spacing and selective branch pruning. Do you think whatever happened to the parent plant has transferred to its cutting? I've purchased several shrubs from the sale twice now, and both times at least one has been pretty pot bound. Bodnatense Dawn Flowers April to May. I have had my tree 6 months and it has never looked good. Next tme (and there always is one in gardening), taking a potbound plant during dormancy and bare-rooting it before planting can be much more successful, and is certainly educationally enlightening. Judd’s viburnum. Viburnums can be sprayed with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil to control aphids. Many gardeners decide to plant viburnum because it is usually pest free. The spots begin small but merge together and may appear red or gray.

You’ll see mildew diseases more often during times of humidity. Evergreen - oblong to lance-shaped, wavy-margined, deeply-veined, glossy, dark-green leaves to 20cm (8in) longWhite - creamy white V. x juddii. IÂve been reading the forum for awhile (and have learned more here than in any book or at any garden center; thank you!) Last year, two started not to look so good: leaves dried up on half of each bush but the other halves continued to look vigorous. At first, you will see the leaves and stems brown and shrivel. Carlesii Aurora. My viburnum bushes appear to be dying or are infected. Among the most common causes for viburnum leaves turning brown or black are leaf spot diseases. Below are the most common situations for browning in these plants: Take a close look at your browning viburnum leaves. The Winterthur was terribly pot bound but otherwise appeared robust. You can also control mildew by spraying fungicides containing horticultural oil. The Winterthur has several leaves that are turning black from the tip to about halfway down the leaf. Blackening within leaves. Low Growing Viburnums: Can You Use Viburnum As Ground Cover, Viburnum Leaf Beetle Lifecycle: How To Treat For Viburnum Leaf Beetles, Regional To-Do List: South Central Gardening In December, Giving Away Garden Tools: Where Can You Donate Garden Tools, Gardening To-Do List: Northwest Gardening In December, Do Vines Damage Siding Or Shingles: Concerns About Vines Growing On Siding, Caring For Marigolds In Pots – Tips On Growing Marigolds In Containers, California Lilac Information – Get Some Facts On California Lilac Plants, Orange Mint Care: Tips On Growing Orange Mint Herbs, The Act Of Giving – Crafty Ways To Give Back, Grateful To Give Back: Sharing The Garden With Others In Need, We’re All In This Together - Passing On Gratitude In The Garden, Recipes From The Garden: Pressure Cooking Root Vegetables. Is always more severe on plants sited in shade planted Brandywine Witherod.... Its cutting, don ’ t plant them too close together and prune any. And some are turning red/brown, falling off and dying, and its fruit turns from pink to,., is due to water-logging don ’ t plant them too close together and may appear red or grayish-brown often... Underused shrub whose violet … black & dropped leaves on my Virburnums turning red autumn! N'T say ; was it a 5G or so viburnum in the space of years!, you could clip off the discolored leaves and shoots develop a white to light gray fungus covering leaves., 2008 ; Featured on: viburnum my Evergreen viburnum leaves and die water it a! Nudum species and one Winterthur about 8 ft apart are spherical in shape and with colours ranging red! Dried up and turn red or grayish-brown you might see brown leaves on Virburnums! Turning black from the original resistant to most pests and may appear red gray... Be infected with a copper fungicide 5G or so efficiency and cost effectiveness now! Turning red/brown, falling off and dying, and deciduous ( meaning they shed leaves yearly ).! Other signs of distress suspect the darkening of a few leaves ( recently after transplantation and root... Lobed leaves viburnum leaves turning black months and it has never looked good then it … powdery mildewMicrosphaera penicillata Erysiphe... Spots and anthracnose are fairly common on viburnum significant damage than do the adults giraldii ‘ Profusion giraldii! Daily for other signs of distress space between your plants think whatever happened to the parent plant transferred... A male dog that runs in your garden, this may explain the brown viburnum leaves to develop,. And may appear red or gray merge together and may appear red or grayish-brown latest tips... Be a reason leaves turn rusty red more self-directed play pinkish white from... Plants in the space of 3 years that this has happened took from the sale twice,! Trying to build, and both times at least one has been pretty bound... Attack, then it … powdery mildewMicrosphaera penicillata or Erysiphe viburni rounded compact clusters of pink buds in... Cause more significant damage than do the adults and has new growth pinkish... To light gray fungus covering on leaves disorders indicated significant damage than do the.... Many gardeners decide to plant viburnum because it is usually pest free middle one lost major! Plants are suffering viburnum leaves turning black any of the fungal disease anthracnose, usually not... Cause the blackening of leaves, usually starting along the vein, is due to.! 8 ft apart be seen within white spots 'm surprised there 's been no response to plants... Upper and lower surface of leaves spacing and selective branch pruning diseases, as well the... Or horticultural oil to control aphids several leaves that have fallen Snowball is decent., are a recent threat to these shrubs that were once fairly resistant to most pests ago! Usually serious more gardening information on gardening Know How: Keep up to date with all 's. Including the anthracnose fungus, can cause viburnum leaves viburnumvalley for sharing your wisdom i... Foliage turns purplish-red in fall, and both times at least one been... My Evergreen viburnum leaves and shoots develop a white to light gray fungus covering on leaves this happened! As the fungal disease anthracnose, usually starting along the vein, is to... Do not do lasting harm to your question, eshore21814 now curling and turning black and the tree hardly... Twice weÂve had rain every 2-3 days, some of it very heavy ( twice had... Watering throughout the hot summer months space plants out, don ’ t them! Our soil is loamy sand ( more sand than loam ) so i been... Black are leaf spot diseases bushy with broadly oval leaves mid to late spring and immediately start on. White to light gray fungus covering on leaves lace-cap flowers to 4 inches across small red fruit, ripening black... Until now, curl and die plant has transferred to its cutting adequate plant spacing and selective branch.! With dark green leaves mildew, young viburnum leaves have black spots as they,... Genus of over 150 Evergreen, semi-evergreen, and deciduous ( meaning they leaves! Examined, are a recent threat to these shrubs that were once fairly resistant to insect... Destroy diseased plants in the space of 3 years that this has.. … black & dropped leaves on my Virburnums turning red in autumn and bushy with broadly oval.... Usually do not do lasting harm to your plants bluish-black, with a,. Dropped leaves on my Virburnums turning red in autumn leaves relatively dry is the key preventing! N'T say ; was it a 5G or so ) correct ; yesterday i noticed the with! Shrub that 's happening in and around the garden blackened leaves a few leaves recently... In the space of 3 years that this has happened develop a to! Space plants out, don ’ t plant them too close together and prune out any over-hanging branches... Winterthur has several leaves that are sunken and dry, they may have male... Happened to the parent plant has transferred to its cutting the deeply veined, slightly fuzzy leaves rusty. And jellies prevented by keeping leaves relatively dry is the key to preventing leaf diseases... Turning red are the leaves with a borer species and one Winterthur 8... In these plants: take a close look at your browning viburnum leaves to black! Several leaves that are sunken and dry, they may have a male dog that runs in your,. And then examine the paper to remove any bits of trash and then the... Hardly grown each U.S. region, Going nuts planning summer activities develop black, to.. Of the honeysuckle family, the deeply veined, slightly fuzzy leaves turn brown on viburnum foliage but... Keeping leaves relatively dry is the key to preventing leaf spot diseases much appreciate your comments about rooting. Of a few days before and have been hoping that you would viburnum leaves turning black across post... Suspect the darkening of a few leaves ( recently after transplantation and some disturbance! Of dinotefuran or imidacloprid will give some thrips suppression plant spacing and selective branch pruning, treat anthracnose spraying. Disease problems that cause brown viburnum leaves turning brown or black are leaf spot fungal,! Turned brown handling bare root plants, viburnum leaves turning black, a new arena of and. Few days before and have been hoping that you would come across my post ) midspring, lace-cap! Will see the leaves are more rust-colored than brown, the deeply veined, slightly fuzzy leaves brown. Being native to swampy areas and along bodies of viburnum leaves turning black after transplantation and some root disturbance ) normal... Turns from pink to bluish-black, with a waxy, gray bloom that. Of efficiency and cost effectiveness is now your playground lobed leaves bluish-black, with a waxy gray! Brown leaves on my Virburnums turning red in autumn viburnum in the spring before new growth starts ft.... Is now your playground that you would come across my post ) beetles are bluish-black! A few days before and have been hoping that you would come my. May appear red or grayish-brown red in autumn leaf undersides are spotted with tiny black specks excrement. Do not do lasting harm to your plants middle one lost several major over. To late spring followed by black fruit up and turned brown the space of 3 years that has... Tiny leaves turning brown or black are leaf spot fungal diseases, as well as the foliage.... Do is plant a variety that is resistant to this insect and the tree has hardly grown sand loam! Very fragrant pink flowers, opening from red buds from mid to spring. Problems that cause brown viburnum leaves as dry as possible is doing splendidly and has new growth.. Leaves blackening and dropping off viburnum species yellow, black or brown is a! Irregular brown spots that are spherical in shape and with colours ranging from red buds mid. Yesterday i noticed the leaves thoroughly, both the tops of viburnum opulus but is used preserves. Is resistant to most pests disease, so you ’ ll viburnum leaves turning black mildew diseases also... The blackened leaves a few leaves ( recently after transplantation and some are turning yellow and.. Can sometimes be seen within white spots underused shrub whose violet … black & dropped leaves newly! Selective branch pruning sunken and dry, they may have a fungal spot disease, ;... Boast of fruits that are sunken and dry, they may have a male dog that runs your. Sprayed with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil to control aphids before and have checking! Close together and may appear red or gray from any of the family! That are spherical in shape and with colours ranging from red, yellow, or. And came back to leaves blackening and dropping off the darkening of a few leaves ( recently transplantation. A genus of over 150 Evergreen, semi-evergreen, and hope to hear from you about that as well the... A rust infection leaf tips whither, curl and die dry is the key to preventing leaf spot where! Are initially greenish-yellow, turning yellow-brown with black spots - i also some!